Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Newts

The other day I got two fire-bellied newts to put in my temporary tank.  I've also put my tree frog in with them.  The newts seem to like it very much, equally using the land and water portions.  I think it is probably too short for the frog.  He is very noisy at night though, so he is probably fine.

While this tank looks very cool, I've realized there are several design flaws that don't make it an ideal tank.  First of all, the waterfall and plant containers I made do not fit snugly against the back of the tank. There is a lot of space where animals could potential hide and get stuck where I wouldn't be able to find them. I filled it all up with loose rocks as best as I could, but it still isn't the best solution.  There are say too many places to hide.  Which is good for the animals' stress levels, but harder for me to care for them.



I'll use the experience in keeping this tank when I build my next two.

No comments:

Post a Comment