Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Plants

 Ficus pumilla minima
Creeping Fig
I finally found exactly the pumilla I was looking for.  This version has tiny leaves.  I think they look pretty awesome in vivariums.  I have been reading however that they will take over a tank fairly quickly and choke out everything else.  I think I'm going to try it out anyway to get some experience with it.  I'll try to keep it constantly pruned back. 








Sansevieria Zeylanica
I don't know the common name of this one.  It was on the website when I was ordering the bromeliads and looked cool.  I've since found out that it is actually a succulent and the leaves grow about a foot long.  It will probably end up as a house plant.





Ficus microcarpa
Chinese Banayan.  These were at the 100 yen shop and I thought they might fit well in a tank.  I'm hoping I can plant it slightly sideways so it looks like the roots are growing out of the rock.



Neoregelia
Fireball Bromeliad
I'm not sure of the full scientific name for this one.  I searched all over the intranets to find bromeliads in Japan and there was only one site selling them.  This one was much smaller in the picture.  It might be too big to actually use in a tank.  Lame.








Neoregelia
Another one I am not sure of.  This one is cool, but a bit big as well.  I'll have to angle it and maybe put a branch under it to protect it.  









Salvinia molesta
This was just something I saw on the website with the bromeliads.  Apparently it reproduces quite quickly.  I will probably put some of this in both tanks to float on the top of the pond. 



 




 Unidentified
I saw this at the home center the other day and thought it was pretty cool.  I'll try to find out more about it.  It was sitting in a large tub outside, so I imagine there are probably a lot of nasties living in the water with it.  I need to figure out how bleach treat all of these plants before I use them. 





Humata tyermannii
Rabbit's Foot Fern
Another thing I saw on the website.  Way too big.  These ferns are meant to be epiphytitc.  I would love to cut this up into smaller pieces to put in the tank, but I would probably end up killing it.  Another house plant I imagine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment