Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Axolotl Dying

My axolotl was fine for a couple weeks after putting him in the new tank. But several days ago I noticed he wasn't eating.  I left him for a couple days, but he still wouldn't eat.  He was also floating at the top of the tank and he was very pale.  He's been this color for around a week now. 
I've had him in the fridge for the last 3 days but when I got up this morning, he was floating upside down and looked completely dead. I moved the container and he swam around a bit but he is lying on his side and seems to have no energy.  I don't think he's going to make it. 
I don't know what else to do except leave him in the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. I know that this post is several months old but wanted to leave a comment anyway to try and prevent such a thing from happening again.
    In a previous post you mentioned that the water temperature was around 30 degrees C. This is most probably what killed her (the axi in the above picture is a girl). Temperatures over 20 degree C will stress out your axi, making them more prone to disease and eating problems and temperatures above 24 degrees C are often fatal after only a few days.
    If you decide to get another axi (and do a bit more in depth research on their requirements beforehand) I strongly suggest you invest in an aquarium water cooler which will be able to cool your water down to a safe temperature of 18 degrees C and keep it stable. Using ice bottles is ok if they are only needed for a few days in the height of summer, anything longer than that and the temperature fluctuations that you create by using ice bottles are only going to add to the stress levels of your axi.
    If you would like to know more about keeping axolotls heathly and happy please let me know and I will do my best to help.

    ReplyDelete